Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Bakery Chef @ Bukit Merah

Today, i finally went to try a new café that is near my house. This time its just desserts, since 90% of their menu are desserts. For once a café is actually within walking distance from where i leave, and i don't have to travel!



From my research and stalking them on instagram, on-and-off they will organize a dessert buffet at their café, i think about once every 1-2 months, which costs only $19.90. There's one coming up on 10, 11, 12 june, 2 slots a day, but according to them its all fully booked! That's how popular their desserts are i guess? (Partially, also cause their seating area quite limited, i think indoor max 20ppl and outdoor max 15ppl?)

I don't really know if they have a level 2 seating area cause its a shophouse, but when my group of friends and I asked the waitress, she said that its not opened for seating, in the end we sat outside and joined 2 tables for our group of 7.

Side view

So i skipped lunch for this dessert platter(cause i needed to count my calories wisely) which cost me $20.90 for my choice of 3 cakes, 1 cupcake, 1 glass dessert, and 2 macarons.. & i chose a rainbow cake, praline cake, red velvet cake, carrot cupcake, pistachio and hazelnut macaroon, chocolate mousse thingy(i didn't get to choose this, they just gave me)

Top view

My verdict? 5 stars for presentation and value for $! I like how it was served on the stoneware platter!

Now for the taste test; 

I aimed the macarons first, pop-ed the petite looking thing into my mouth, disappointed siah.. Shell not crisp enough, neither pistachio nor hazelnut aroma was strong enough, it pretty much tasted like an original flavoured macaron.

Next, was the rainbow cake, pastel colors so pretty! Was expecting au chocolat's standard at least. But to my disappointment, just normal vanilla sponge cake, with way too much "jelat" whipped cream on top, i practically scraped away all the cream on top, and lé bf and I left half the cake untouched.

Then, praline cake, only ordered this cause this was one of their top favourites according to the waitress. Tasted like nutella, with golden flakes, and bits and piece of crunchy stuffs, i like the crunchy feel that the cake gave me with every bite, but unfortunately it was too sweet for my liking. Again lé bf and i left half this cake untouched.

My friend told me that she tried the cakes, and find that she liked their red velvet the most. But too my horror, this was way too jelat. The cream cheese on top was 1cm thick, not exaggerating! And the cream cheese sandwiched between two 1cm thick red velvet sponge was 1.5cm thick! Was i eating cake or cheese? I scraped all the cheese away and ate the cake only, but left half untouched as well.

Maybe there was too much cream and cheese going on everywhere, it really made me lost my appetite, when i came to the carrot cake, i just threw the cheese on top away, and ate the cake. I love their carrot cake though, gobbled all of it, moist, not too sweet, with raisins, and cinnamon.

Last but not least, the glass dessert thingy, i ate it all and i liked it, the cream they used was jus right, and chocolate wasn't too sweet.

Lé bf wanted something savoury, and this was 1 of the 2 or 3 options i was given at the counter area. Chicken ham croissant at $4.50. They will ask if u want it heated, bf reckons that this was just an average croissant, nothing interesting..

To sum up my lengthy blog today, i prolly wont eat the cakes that i ordered today again. But i may come back to try their other flavours since its so near my house. I remember i saw a tiramisu cake, strawberry shortcake and some chocolate square dome shaped cake, prolly try that next time and do a review update...

No comments:

Post a Comment