Monday, April 14, 2014

Waffle Slayer @ Kampong Bahru

So I suggested to my friends yesterday, to try out Waffles Slayer, just beside Stranger's Reunion, and yet we can try both menus at the same time! Awesome or what?



Basically we each ordered a dish plus 2 sides, so we got to try 8 different dishes since there were 6 of us, perks of having a larger group to share food with! "WS" will stand for food from the Waffle Slayer Menu and "SU" will stand for food from the Strangers Reunion menu. From the top left picture in clock-wise direction, we ordered, red velvet waffle(WS), truffle fries(WS), a maple syrup waffle(SU), matcha waffle(WS), fluffy crepes(SU), truffle sweet potato chips(SU), banana brulee waffle(WS), Eggs on toast(SU).

Food review time!

Matcha Buttermilk Waffle: The waffles here were crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside, the vanilla bean ice cream that came with it was superb, not those ordinary vanilla ice cream we get at cheap buffet places, the red beans were rather tasteless(not sure if it was because the ice cream's sweetness covered it), the waffles were not as green as I imagined, they came out rather toasted in color, like toasted bread crust. There were a few pieces of mandarin oranges I guess for color decoration purposes, cause it was a slight mismatch with the waffles? But the green tea aroma and taste was certainly lacking for a green tea lover like me. Overall, I guess its a dish to try, but I may not order it a second time. (I suggested this place cause I wanted to try this! And not many places in SG offers this, I loved the one I had in Bangkok at Kalpapruek Central World though...)

Red Velvet Buttermilk Waffle: Same superb vanilla ice cream, with lots of chocolate fudge drizzle and pistachio. Same waffle texture, though the red velvet color didn't quite show on the waffle, again it was kinda toasted brown, like normal chocolate waffle color. There were the few pieces of mandarin oranges for deco too... I'm really not a fan of chocolate waffles, but since its the only chocolate waffle on the menu, i guess the chocolate lovers will love it... (Again, i still preferred the one I had at Kalpapruek, cause it was served with cream cheese and strawberry compote)

Banana Brulee Buttermilk Waffle: This was superb, same ice cream, but there was caramelized banana and walnut crunch, matches the waffle well. Definitely, a must order for banana lovers... :)

Maple Syrup waffle: According to my friend, this is SU's signature dish, maple syrup drizzled lavishly on a plain buttermilk waffle, with some blueberries, strawberries, and bananas. A simple and conventional dish, no added frills... A must order, for those who have yet tasted their waffles.

Fluffy Savoury Crepes: Do not order this, if you have high standards of what a crepe should look and taste like... The crepes were a tad too thick, and for the $12.50 my friend was paying for this, versus paying $11.90 for the maple syrup waffle, the portion was way too meagre, like two small slaps of thin pancake with sour cream, beetroot relish and a side of salad, which my picture apparently doesn't show it clearly enough. The taste of the whole dish was weak, definitely not my cup of tea.

Eggs on Toast: As the name suggests, scrambled eggs layed on 2 pieces of toasts, generous portions of egg that was fully spreaded on the whole toast. Weak in flavour, but for $10.50, I guess I would have expected slightly better taste?

Truffle Fries: Superb fries, for $12.90 the portion was big enough for 6 of us to share, and it was so good with the tartar sauce that accompanied it. The only downside to me was the type of fries they used, they used shoestring fries like mcdonalds so the fries were not that fluffy.

Truffle Sweet Potato Chips: We've never heard of this dish, so we decided to order it. The color showed well, the chips were thin enough that made it so crispy, matches with the tartar sauce that accompanied it. But other than the truffle aroma, it pretty much tasted like regular potato chips? For the same price and portion as the fries, my friends and I would not order this dish again, we practically left half the bowl full.

I've not tried the other savoury dishes in SU's menu, so i would definitely give it a 2nd try to try more of their breakfast menu. Overall, nice ambience, ok service. I went on a saturday noon, best is before 12pm, that way you'll get a table pretty quickly. On average, my friends and I spent about $19-21 each inclusive of GST & service charge, so the cost is pretty reasonable.

If you guys need directions, Outram Park MRT, do exit from the purple line side, it's Exit F. Once out of the exit, SGH should be just behind you, before your cross the traffic light you should see the row of shophouse that has a mookata pig signage, stranger's reunion and waffles slayer is just down that row of shophouses, walk to the traffic light to cross over to the road where the shophouses are.

XOXO,
CheryL


No comments:

Post a Comment